Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A happy, happy anniversary, Mommy and Daddy... and Father's Day, too!




I love this picture!


Normally, this day comes around, and I find myself doing two things. One, thanking my absolutely wooonderful parents for all of the love and effort and sweat they put into raising us for Christ's kingdom, and two, wondering what we should do about a gift for them.


Well, the gift ideas came easier, and the thanks could flow endlessly, but for whatever reason, God put something else on my heart for me to think about.


They're together.


I don't think I realized how much of a blessing that was until maybe a week ago, when I just felt the realization that Mommy and Daddy have been married for 19 years. 19 years of being together, 19 years of the two being one. And I have never had any doubt that they will be together until the Lord calls them home!


Not only has God blessed us with parents who want to raise us in the love and admonition of the Lord, he blessed us with parents who want to do it together.


I love seeing Daddy tease Momma, and watching them laugh together. It's like it's 19 years ago, when it all started. The newness and excitement and fun; it carries over and over and over into a life they continue to share together. It's like Mommy's eyes are showing the laughter she felt when Daddy first asked how to pronounce her last name. Which came in the form of, "So, what do your friends call you?" And Daddy's eyes show the determination he had in winning her over. I love that! It's boy meets girl, turned into.... man and wife with a generational vision!


While the newness and excitement and fun are beautiful to see, nothing tugs on my heart more than when I see them sacrifice for each other. When I see them love the other one despite their flaws, despite the sins that bother them the most. That's when I see Christ and the church.


God has been so good towards our family, and now I'm gonna find joy in the blessing of Mommy and Daddy together.


Father's Day and my parent's anniversary have always sat right next to each other, and to me, it makes perfect sense! I'll not only celebrate my father, but I'll also celebrate how he's the head of Mommy and the head of our family. My father has a generational vision for his family, and he is passing it on to his children, and we will pass it on to ours. But the point is, we live the way we do, believe the way we do, and plan the way we do, because of his vision. Without Daddy loving me, and ultimately the Lord, enough to build our family this way, I would not have future plans that match what the Lord desires for me as a young woman.

I love my father so much for being the leader he is, for being the loving husband he is, and for being the Daddy God knew that I needed.

The more I go through life, the more I love just where God has placed me, and just who I get to be here with. God makes life good!

5 comments:

Elisa said...

really good post rach! :) I loved it! I love your family so much! I am blessed to know you, your parents... and your siblings! :D

Emily said...

Wow Rach! That's a bee-yoo-ti-ful picture of your mom and dad... They look so much in love! I love your mom and dad a lot plus you and Elise and Daniel and..... did I forget someone... oh yeah and I love Kyle too :)... I really do. You all are such a blessing. Love you Brottlund Family!

Nick and Tammy said...

Rachel- You are very good at expressing your thoughts. I'm glad you love your family so much and are able to let others know that. Love you always!

Amy said...

Aw, that is beautiful Rachel!
I love your family!
You guys mean so much to us, and I'm thankful for your parents, too. =) Tell them we all say happy anniversary!

Brian, Tracy, Rachel, Kyle, Elise, and Daniel said...

One of Rachels' sweetest qualities is that she lives with us and sees all of our faults reguarly, yet she chooses to bless her parents with her words... both to them and to others. I believe that the Lord will bless her greatly for that.

I love you more than you could possibly know, Rachel!

Love, Mommy